Saturday, November 8, 2014

Consider Honoring Your Pain

Even when it's a lot to bear, it can be healing to just sit with your pain and honor it. 

I've found myself thinking in the past, "What the hell does that even mean?"

Sometimes it means you wake up from a rest and instead of the sleepless thoughts dragging you down, you compassionately remind yourself, "Yeah, you feel/felt that. Yes! You went through/survived that! You are here, breathing and well now, even if you weren't in the
Sometimes it is remembering a person, thing, or life event and approaching the ensuing emotions with a steadfast willingness to ride it like a wave. To just feel it. Feel it because if you feel it now, you will feel something else (probably something better) later. I know it has usually been a mistake for me to try NOT to feel these big things. 

It can build a strength inside of you to just sit and tolerate the fact that you are hurting right now or that you did during your past experiences. It feels amazing to me to be like, "Wow! I managed to remember that incident/think about this issue without freaking out about how I felt in the past or what I will feel in the future!" 

It is a grand accomplishment when you feel like life has been a certain way to you...hard, tough, shitty, stacked against you, cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms... you may begin to feel accountable and capable

 Even where I used to fear if I would be capable, I now KNOW that I am, simply because I learned to (sometimes) sit and respect my very human feeling---pain.



"Rain, after all is only rain; it is not bad weather. So also, pain is only pain; unless we resist it, then it becomes torment." -the I Ching

1 comment:

  1. The ending quote is perfect. It speaks so loudly to me.

    ReplyDelete